Restorer and scholar of artistic techniques, he has been contract professor of History of Artistic Techniques at the University of Bologna in the Te.Co.Re course. He is now scientific director of Fondazioni Maimeri.
He taught for several years at the “Aldo Galli” Academy of Fine Arts in Como.
He is the author of about one hundred and forty scientific publications, translated into various languages, on artistic techniques, with particular attention to literary sources and their interpretation.
- Gianni Maimeri, Treatise on paint, a c. di S. Baroni, Allemandi, Torino, 2010; Mappae clavicula. Text, translation, notes, ed. by S. Baroni, G. Pizzigoni, P. Travaglio, Il Prato, Saonara, 2013
- Formation, transmission and genres in the recipe books of art technology … ( con S. Rinaldi e P. Travaglio) in: “Savoir et transmission: la littérature de la technologie de l’art dans l’Europe moderne”, Paris, INHA, Sorbonne, 2015
- Compendius de coloribus collectum, (con F.Ferla) in “Sources on Art Technology: Back to Basics”, 6th Symposium of the ICOM-CC. ATRS, Archetype, London, 2016
- The puzzle of Compositiones: a proposal for the reconstruction, (con G. Pizzigoni e P. Travaglio) in: Medioevo europeo, II, 2018;
- Recipes for Colour Making from Late Antiquity to the Middle Ages, (con G. Pizzigoni e P. Travaglio) in: Policromy in Ancient Sculpture and Architecture, Sillabe, Livorno, 2018
- He is the co-curator with M. Mander of the new edition of “Storia delle tecniche artistiche” by Maltese, now: Tecniche dell’arte, Mursia, 2021